Friday, January 20, 2012

New Approach: Ugh Oh!

Have you ever been doing something, using the same approach and expecting different results? This the definition of insanity seemed to be my station in life.  I was right smack dab in the center of this definition.  Whatever I did, goal I set or direction I tried to pursue, I always seemed to end up with the same results.  And frankly, I was getting fed up.  At the point of being sick and tired of being sick and tired, something had to change.

In the midst of the hustle and bustle of my life, the constant pressure to look a certain way, have it together, display my success through various means of pleasures and the latest greatest gadgets, something happened. When all is said in done, I was absolutely positively ready for a new approach. In the moments of honesty, a very real event was taking place. I warn you, it’s not pretty, it’s not glamorous, it’s not something easy.  It’s the process of coming undone.

First, I had to decide, who was in charge of my life: me or other people/things?.  Sounds like an odd place to start, and I totally hear you: “you should be in charge of your life, the captain of your ship, the commander and chief” (fist waving in the air). I was finding that ministry, lists and projects consumed my life, my schedule and swayed my faith and trust in God.

The very foundations of my life—time with God, principles that guided my life and the voice of the Holy Spirit—had taken a back seat to the everyday demands.  I had exchanged the "life abundantly" for it's counterfit. While I didn’t set out to be a captive of someone else’s vision, ministry or projects the reality is I had.  So, I had to ask myself the hard questions:
  • Does my life line up with the Word of God or am I living according to the principles found in God’s Word?  
  • What are the greatest influences in my life and are they pointing me towards God?
  • What are the distractions in my life and how much of my resources are they consuming?
  • Am I living the abundant life?
  • What am I passionate about?
Unbeknownst to me, when I set out to grow closer to the heart of God and get healthy, I was embarking on a journey of freedom and restoration.   

The story of this journey, "New Approach: The Uphill Climb", begins next Friday  just got posted.
Until then, be blessed. Know that you’re an incredible woman of God. You have so much purpose and significance that can't be measured by the weights and values of this world. What is in you to give is so powerful, life giving and ignites a passion. No one is ever the same after they encounter you because of Jesus in you!

1 comment:

  1. Yep, we can distance ourselves from God even with "good" things. Are we Martha or Mary? Are we too busy working for God to spend time with God? God doesn't want us to just go around Christianizing in the corner, He wants a relationship with us first and foremost.
    The world says that the individual is in charge of his life, but God's Word says, "For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will save it." (Luke 9:24). We need to be in reckless abandonment to God's Will for our lives. Sometimes he doesn't call us to what we think in our human reasoning is good. He is not one for the comfort zone. He told Abraham to leave his country and his people and everything he knew! Comfort zones are faith killers! But that's when we say, "Not my will God, but YOUR will be done!" And this is not to say we will not be happy, God promises "Delight yourself in the LORD and he will give you the desires of your heart." (Psalm 37:4)
    God calls us to some crazy things, but in the end it is way better than anything we could have come up with! :D

    ReplyDelete